Are you OK with cookies?

We use small files called ‘cookies’ on Some are essential to make the site work, some help us to understand how we can improve your experience, and some are set by third parties. You can choose to turn off the non-essential cookies. Which cookies are you happy for us to use?

Skip to content

I’m a relative or friend of a victim

If someone close to you has been a victim of crime, it can have a big impact on you too. You might: 

  • want to find help for them 
  • be upset or scared 
  • be dealing with money problems or having to move home 

Find support in your area for you and your relative or friend.

Get police help 

If you feel threatened in any way, contact the police. 

If it’s an emergency, call 999. Otherwise you can call the police on 101 or go into your local police station.

Be prepared

A number of different things can happen after you or the victim report a crime. Find out about the investigation process, and what happens if either of you have to give evidence in court.

Understand what support to expect 

The government has set out what information and support victims of crime should expect from services like the police and courts. Find out more about the Victims’ Code

This is a new website – your feedback will help us to improve it.