Know what to expect as a witness
The Witness Charter sets out the standards of service that you can expect from criminal justice agencies in England and Wales as a witness of crime.
Key standards of care for witnesses include:
- having a main point of contact who will keep you informed of the progress of the case and will either provide support or refer you to relevant support services
- being able to claim expenses for travel to and from the court, and compensation for any loss of earnings as a result of attending court
- having a needs assessment to identify any help you may need to give evidence during the investigation or in court
- receiving ‘special measures’ to protect you if you’re a vulnerable or intimidated witness – these may include giving evidence from outside the courtroom via video link, and asking the judge and barristers to remove their wigs and gowns
- being given information about the court and the court process
- being treated with dignity and respect at all times
This is a new website – your feedback will help us to improve it.